The average cost of a new (decent) website is about £1200 plus VAT. An ecommerce website is much more. Here’s the real question… how much extra business will your new, or for that matter existing, website get you?
Oh you don’t know!
How about leads… How many enquiries will your new or existing website get you?
Oh you don’t know that either!
Why do you have or want a website?
If you believe you should have a website as everyone else has one and that is your main motivation for having a website then I would suggest that’s the wrong reason.
Now I know some organisations have a website for sharing data, information and knowledge and that’s fine. But, if you are selling a service or product then the biggest single reason for having a website should be to generate more business, period.
I have met numerous business people who have spent large sums of money on their websites and yet they are nowhere in the search engine rankings. If you are on page two or worse for your main keyphrase then you are sharing in a tiny percentage of the available traffic.
Getting your webpages from page two to page one in the search engine rankings can give you a ten fold increase in traffic. Yes, 10 times what you are getting now. Nearly 90% of all the web traffic goes to the websites that are on the first page of Google.
Search Engine Optimisation
There are two basic strands to achieve better rankings: On site optimisation and off site optimisation. Onsite optimisation has 20% – 30% effect on the websites position in the rankings. The remaining 70% – 80% is dependent on offsite optimisation.
Usually the onsite optimisation will result in a slight improvement in the rankings for some key phrases. You might see even better improvements if you are in a niche market with little serious competition. However, for significant and lasting improvement you must use offsite techniques.
This is an ongoing process that needs to be done often to realise the benefits of top rankings. The ‘secret’ algorithm that Google uses changes several times each year, sometimes, as with the latest 2010 change (Code named ‘Caffeine’), it can be a dramatic one, causing many websites to drop out of the rankings completely. Care must therefore be taken, as using ‘spammy’ techniques can result in your website from being dropped from Google’s results pages – this has and does happen regularly.
Three Essential Elements
There are now three essential elements to getting high rankings. Previously the first two were sufficient. Nowadays any website not utilising the following three elements will slowly and surely start to slip from the rankings:
Content – the phrase “content is king” has never been truer than now. Google loves lots of unique and regularly added to content. You need to continuously add new (unique) content and pages to your website. If you have good content then the next element will come.
Backlinks – Links from relevant and quality sources are the lifeblood of the web. Otherwise websites would exist in a cul-de-sac. Care must be taken when linking to or from certain sites. If Google deems sites linking to yours as being from a ‘bad neighbourhood’ your ranking will suffer. Years ago it was enough to grab as many links as you could regardless of where they came from. Now quality will always outscore quantity.
Traffic – This might seem contradictory, i.e. you need traffic to get good rankings and you need good rankings to get traffic. As a result of website owners trying to fix the above two methods Google now looks at the amount and quality of traffic coming to your site from a variety of external sources, in particular social media and social bookmarking sites.
This new third element is of increasing importance if you want to maintain high search engine rankings. Each link, bookmark, and social comment that Google finds for your site is deemed a vote of confidence in your website and Google rewards you accordingly.
By effectively utilising social media you can create social buzz around your website which rapidly increases search engine rankings and traffic to your web pages.
Rinse and Repeat for Success
It is a pointless exercise doing the above once or twice and then forgetting it – in fact this can do more harm than good as Google may see it as a ‘spam’ technique. It has to be done regularly to get the results.
The results are of course higher rankings which will give you more leads, more enquiries and more sales and that is why you want a website.
There is of course another way – Rent a website!
Get yourself a good website rental company that will take care of all this for you.